How to Support to a Friend with Cancer:
- My Friend Has Cancer?!
- A six-part series about how young adults can better support their friends who are going through cancer.
- George Washington University Hospital/Medical Faculty Associates
- Caregiver’s Support Group meets on the third Tuesday of every month from 12:30-1:30pm in the first floor Cancer Center Board Room at Medical Faculty Associates, 2150 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC. This group is intended for family members and friends of those diagnosed with cancer. For more information and to register, contact Alicia Gray, LGSW via 202.677.6597 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- INOVA/ Life with Cancer
- Caregiver Connection-Fairfax
Meet for ongoing support in dealing with the challenges of caring for a loved one with cancer. Learn coping strategies and information related to cancer and its treatments. Meets on the second Monday of the month from 7pm-8:30pm at Life with Cancer Family Center, 8411 Pennell Street, Fairfax, VA, 22031.
- Caregiver Connection at Fair Oaks
Meet for ongoing support in dealing with the challenges of caring for a loved one with cancer. Learn coping strategies and information related to cancer and its treatments. Meets on the second Wednesday of the month from 5:30pm-7pm at Fair Oaks Cancer Center, Conference Rooms, Conference Rooms, Lower Level, 3580 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax, VA, 22033.
- Caregiver Connection-Fairfax
- Hope Connections
- Weekly Caregivers Support Group – Bethesda: This group is available for friends and family of those diagnosed with cancer. This group meets weekly on Tuesdays from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. and weekly on Thursdays from 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. The group meets at Hope Connection’s Bethesda, MD location. Please call Hope Connections at 301.634.7500 to register.
- Weekly Caregivers Support Group – Prince George’s County: This group is available for friends and family of those diagnosed with cancer. This group meets weekly on Wednesdays from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. & 6:30 – 8:00 pm at Hope Connections’ Prince George’s County Office: 8401 Corporate Drive, Suite 100, Landover, MD 20785; Please call Hope Connections at 240-714-4744 to register.
- Caregiver Resource Directory
- Practical guide intended to help family caregivers feel less alone and overwhelmed.
- Kadumba Tree Foundation
- Offers education and support programs to help family caregivers bridge gaps between moments of respite. They deliver evidence-based caregiver interventions, best practices in caregiver support, and other evidence-informed program models that are proven to enhance the caregiving experience.
- Lotsa Helping Hands
- Powers free online caring communities that provide tools to organize daily life during times of medical crisis or caregiver exhaustion. Host more than 60,000 Private Communities that are hard at work supporting caregivers across the U.S. Recently launched an Open Community model to connect caregivers, individuals, and families who need help with those who want to lend a helping hand.
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- Dedicated to providing support to family caregivers and the professionals who help them and to increasing public awareness of issues facing family caregivers.
- National Family Caregivers Association
- Educates, supports, empowers and speaks up for the more than 50 million Americans who care for loved ones with a chronic illness or disability or the frailties of old age.
- Caregiver Companion Program
- The Caregiver’s Companion Program is a free program for caregivers of blood & marrow transplant patients that combines a useful toolkit with the personalized, confidential support of a caregiver coach who understands transplant and the caregiver role.
- First Descent FDrock
- A free outdoor adventure program for caregivers nominated by FD alum.